6.24.2010

a little punch of red

Ever feel like something is just wrong with a room? 

I've had that sense for months now, but I couldn't put my finger on it until I went rummage-sale shopping. We have a great living room. A few finds (the wardrobe and lamp in the left corner), a few purchases (the bookcase in the right corner, the rug, the homemade pillows from Mom Hawk), and a few loaners (the red couch), and a few repurposed items (the lamp on the right, the coffee table).

 As you can see, it is not a bad room. But I couldn't shake a sense of their being a lack of color, a tinge of darkness, rather than the light, bright cottage look we eventually hope to accomplish.

And then, I went to a rummage-sale just one block away and found these (forgive the shaky mac photobooth shot):

Two vintage suitcases, one soft, one hard shell, in cherry red for $5!!!! It's actually slightly pinker, and therefore softer, than this photo shows, but you get the idea. I love it! I can't get enough of it! I'm not sure they're in the right location at the moment, but I've realized why they make such a difference to me, and what the room needs.

It's about the shade, not the color! Sure, we have reds, greens, blues, and nuetrals all through the room, but because they're all grayer or darker shades, it gives the overall look a colorless scene. 

Now that I get this, I know where to go forward. I need to brighten things up a bit, bring in more white, and choose shades that pop rather than sit.

Cheers to these small revelations!

icj,
~j

No comments:

Post a Comment

thishawksnest reserves the right to remove any comment not contributing to content and conversation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Real Time Analytics