baby room : crib skirt done

And we're done!After the work we highlighted yesterday, here's a raised (water) glass to the finished product! 
To finish the skirt, I removed my supplies from the basement so I could hang with Hawk and go through our list of possible baby middle names. (Much harder than we expected, might I add--choosing middle names.) Hawk snapped a photo, and I can say with all humor, it is not my best. 
It also made us realize that we REALLY need to find some wall art. Throughout our house, we only have mirrors hanging and a few random frames I threw on the dining room walls last Easter (when the room made me more nauseated than raw chicken). We're not narcissistic! It's just that we keep receiving or finding free mirrors and they're easy to put on the walls...

Back to the crib skirt.

Step Seven: Attach Velcro 
I grabbed a package of 15 no-sew Velcro coins at Winkie's for under $2.00. Normally, I presume one wouldn't use these adhesive-backed Velcro coins with fabric, but since they Velcro is not regularly used on a crib skirt---only on the rare occasion that we switch out skirts---it seemed like a simple and logical choice. 
I attached the male part Velcro to the top hem of skirt sides and and the female Velcro to the top of metal mattress frame. I would have taken more pictures, but it was pretty much impossible with only two hands, and I didn't want Hawk to see it until it was finished.

Step Eight: To Connect or Not?
My inspiration for this crib skirt came from YoungHouseLove, and they connected the sides of the crib skirt to the front. I chose not to thinking it would be easier to remove them if they were separate, and now I'm really glad I did. In the photo above, you can see where they overlap a bit. In the photo below, you can see that if I would have connected them, I would have been in deep doodoo:

See that? That's where our crib front post connects. We knew we wanted to hide the frame, so its an unforeseen blessing that I chose to keep them separated, or we'd have to see them either bunched or ripped apart.

So TAKE NOTE: Figure out whether you can attach the sides and front and make them one piece before deciding to do so!

Step Eight: Stand Back and See How It Looks 
We plopped down a freshly-washed mattress sheet over the crib mattress and stepped back to consider the final product. Of the many things I liked about the Petersik's skirt, they kept it one fabric instead of doing two levels of fabrics; I chose to do the same. If you have a great pattern, why split it up even more visually? You've already got those bars going.

Side view: 

Finished view (ignore the paint color---it looks olive on my browser, which is nothing like reality!):

And there you have it. Total time: 2 hours, including putzing, breaks for Butterfingers and coffee ice cream, and listening to Stuff You Missed in History Class on iTunes. I think most of you could do it in 60-75 minutes or so.

But I cannot say enough for the DIY approach. Total cost: $9.00. Includes 3 yds. sale fabric, velcro, and labor. Had we purchased something like this as part of a bedding set, it would have knocked us down $150, and we wouldn't like it as much. And this is easily a project a non-experienced crafter could do.

We've been choosing wall art the past few days, and we're grabbing up a rug soon. Good news: We're NOT spending money on a new glider, but we'll highlight that soon enough.

And we DID make the bench. I can't wait to show you next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment

thishawksnest reserves the right to remove any comment not contributing to content and conversation.


Related Posts with Thumbnails
Real Time Analytics