2.21.2011

pottery barn vs. jcpenney

When do you buy brand vs. knock-off?

Because our parents never supported name-brand clothing when we were kids, we've thankfully avoided the brand-trap. You know what I mean. Something hideous becomes desirable just because Gucci made it, when in reality you NEVER would have purchased it if you saw it in Sears.

I avoid the brand-trap with everything from clothing to decor to utensils by asking one simple question in 2 forms:
  1. Would I like this if I saw it in (insert lower-end brand)?
  2. Would I find this ugly if I found it in (insert higher-end brand)?

So when the latest Pottery Barn bedding mag came out, I knew I wouldn't have a hard time resisting. If I saw any of the following over-worked, uninspired pieces in JCPenneys, I would walk right on by...





Okay, those butterfly pillows aren't bad, but you get the idea. And this last link os a JCP spread I would have pictured in PB.

You? Have a clever way to avoid spending money on a name over the object itself?

icj,
~j

1 comment:

  1. what a good exercise in making sure you really do want something!

    ReplyDelete

thishawksnest reserves the right to remove any comment not contributing to content and conversation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Real Time Analytics