4.24.2011

home retreat

As part of my contract, I am given 5 retreat days per year. With a baby, it just isn't possible for me to get away for overnights anywhere, let alone 4 of them, before I lose them in July.

Thankfully, my boss is allowing an experiment. A home retreat. I have chosen a guide: Introduction to the Devout Life by Francis de Sales, and I should be able to skype with a spiritual direction at least once.

Here's the idea: when Ace is awake, I'm full-time mom. When Ace is asleep, I read and pray exclusively. I keep silence. Since Hawk comes home in the evening, it is difficult to keep silence (not talk to anyone or even pray aloud) with a husband in the house, so I get to be creative in the evenings and spend a little time with him.  I am staying away from iphone, blogs, email, and all things communicable as well as creative from the time Ace and I wake until he is asleep at bedtime. And when I finally do take up the computer once again, it will be only with a creative or mothering focus--no emails, shows, facebook checks, blog checks, etc.

Yikes.

I can't wait to tell you how it goes! I'll also be dedicating all my non-retreat time to Ace's schedule and sleep. And I have posts scheduled auto-style through the week, so you shouldn't be bored (are you ever? I should probably ask this once in a while).

Whoot.

icj,
~j

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful idea. I hope your week of prayer and contemplation goes great! xo

    ReplyDelete

thishawksnest reserves the right to remove any comment not contributing to content and conversation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Real Time Analytics