1.25.2012

easy recipe : spicy potato beef soup

Hawk loves his beef. I've tried to sneak in turkey, veggies, and tofu, but he always finds the culprit and after a few bites, makes mac and cheese or a pizza. And with all our recent traveling (almost a month's worth shooting from here to there), our grocery budget is tight. I knew I wanted fresh fruit, veggies, and potatoes, so I spent the majority of our remaining $50 on those goodies. 


So my challenge for last night's meal: create a beef-centered main dish with all the ingredients I already have. Allrecipes.com to the rescue (again)!


It was delicious. I had to substitute garlic for the onions (only 2 cloves for one whole onion), twice the amount of sriarcha for tabasco, and I added whole barley and a little paprika for fun.


ingredients

  • 1 pound ground beef (we use 93% lean)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 4 cups cubed potatoes
  • 3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce (we used a 29 oz can)
  • 2 teaspoons salt (we used 3)
  • 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

Directions

  1. Brown beef and onion, drain.
  2. Add water, pepper, potatoes, tomato sauce, salt, and Tabasco sauce. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer one hour or until potatoes are tender and soup is thick.


I'll include a photo later today when I reheat it for lunch!

icj,
~j

No comments:

Post a Comment

thishawksnest reserves the right to remove any comment not contributing to content and conversation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Real Time Analytics